Are you counting down the days until you spend 4th of July in Gatlinburg? Every year, Gatlinburg puts on the most spectacular 4th of July parade in the nation! Here’s a few things you probably don’t know about the parade, that can help you prepare for your visit:
- The Gatlinburg July 4th Midnight Parade is commonly referred to as the ‘First Independence Day Parade in the Nation.’ People start lining the streets the evening of July 3, and the parade kicks off at precisely 12:01 a.m. on Independence Day. Some visitors will begin setting up as early as 7 a.m. on July 3, so if you want to be in a particular spot, it’s definitely best to arrive early!
- Gatlinburg expects at least 100,000 people to attend and celebrate at the Gatlinburg July 4th Midnight Parade. If you want to be one of the many who visit the area that night, be prepared for large crowds and slow-moving traffic before and after the parade. It’s best to stay in one of Amazing Views’ cabins in Gatlinburg, so you don’t have to travel a long distance.
- The parade route begins at light #1A on the Parkway. Then the parade will take a right turn at traffic light #3 and finally end at traffic light #10 at Ski Mountain Road.
- The 572nd U.S. Air Force Band will be performing for visitors at the parade, and you won’t want to miss it! Also marching in the parade, visitors will see members of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guard and Navy.
Things to Take to the Gatlinburg July 4th Midnight Parade
- Most people end up standing throughout the evening, but if you arrive early enough, you can find a spot to set up chairs for the day.
- If you plan to spend the whole day out and about, there are plenty of great things to do in Gatlinburg while you wait for the parade to start. Most of the restaurants, shops and attractions will remain open late at night for visitors who want to stop in and have some fun before the parade.
- The weather for Gatlinburg in July is usually very warm, reaching sometimes in the mid to upper 80’s. Be sure to dress for the summer weather and wear comfortable shoes since you’ll be walking up and down the Parkway for the day.
- The parade is usually pretty loud, with fireworks, sirens and other loud noises. If you have small children, make sure you plan for this!
- If you spend the day in Gatlinburg, it may be a good idea to pack sunscreen and bug spray.
For more information about other upcoming events in Gatlinburg, take a look at Amazing Views’ Gatlinburg events calendar packed with information about everything happening in the area.
After the parade, you’ll love being able to retreat to one of Amazing Views affordable cabins in Gatlinburg. With cabins starting as low as $100 night, you will find a cabin with all of the amenities you need for your vacation. To start planning, give us a call at (855) 849-8977 to speak with our friendly vacation specialists who can help you find the perfect cabin for your group.