You’re completely ready for your winter vacation to Gatlinburg, but now it’s time to pack. If you’re like many vacationers, packing is exciting, but can be one of the most tedious processes. At Amazing Views Cabin Rentals, we want your packing experience to be exciting, so we have put together a list of items to remember to pack for your winter vacation this year.
(Also Helpful: How to Pack Lighter and Still Have Everything You Need for Your Smoky Mountain Vacation)
For Spending Time in Gatlinburg
If you’re planning to spend a lot of time wandering around Gatlinburg and exploring the Gatlinburg Parkway, there’s just a couple of things you will need to remember:
- Wear casual clothes. Everywhere in the area accepts casual attire and you will likely be spending your time in and out of shops, restaurants and attractions.
- It’s important to wear comfortable shoes. This way, your feet don’t get sore from all of the walking, and you can spend time enjoying the area.
- Definitely pack a jacket if you’re planning on being outside for most of the day as the weather in the Smokies in the winter is cold and can be unpredictable.
For Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the most popular activities of our Gatlinburg cabin vacationers. After all, our national park has been recognized as being one of the must visit vacation destinations. Most recently, you can check out our blog for: Fox News Names Great Smoky Mountains National Park on List of Must-Visit Winter National Parks.
So when you’re planning your hiking adventure this winter, make sure to follow these small “rules:”
- Pack lots of water. Of course, it doesn’t seem like you will need a lot of water since the weather is so cold in the mountains. But that’s not true! You can get dehydrated even in the winter months. Plus, all of the water sources in the national park are contaminated with bacteria, so you absolutely should not drink from them.
- Dress in layers. You’ve heard it time and time again, but so many people forget layers of clothes. When you’re hiking, it’s nice to be able to remove the heavy clothes when you get warm. Also keep in mind that the temperature at the lower elevations can be much warmer than the temperature in the upper elevations.
- Like always, it’s important to wear comfortable shoes or hiking boots. It’s even better if you have waterproof shoes, since the mountains may be snowy or rainy.
- Pack and wear thin socks. It seems strange for us to recommend thin socks as opposed to thicker socks, right? Believe it or not, thick socks are typically cotton material and can soak up and hold in moisture. To avoid all of the excess moisture in your shoes, we recommend purchasing a couple of pairs of thin socks that will wick away moisture. You can find these types of socks at any special sports shop or hiking gear shop.
- Sunscreen and lip balm. Again, this seems odd, but the cold winter air can be damaging to your face and skin. Even more, there are times when the sun will shine straight through the trees and reflect on the snowy ground, so you may even want to pack sunglasses.
- When you plan to spend a lot of time in the national park, make sure to pack energizing snacks. Things like granola, snack bars and fruit will re-energize you for your the remainder of your hike.
- Of course, don’t forget your camera to capture all of the wonderful memories of your hike through the Smokies!
For additional safety information for hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, take a look at the National Park Service’s website.
Resting and relaxing in a Gatlinburg cabin rental. That sounds amazing, right? We think so, too. After spending time outside either hiking or exploring the Gatlinburg area, you can retreat to a warm cabin in Gatlinburg. Your cabin won’t be far from all of the exciting things to do in the area, including the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. So, after a long day, you will only have a short distance to travel to be back in the warmth of your home away from home. To make your stay more memorable, here’s a few extra things you can pack:
- Whether you have kids or adults in your group, packing a couple of board games can be a fun addition to any vacation to the Smokies.
- Planning a movie night in your Gatlinburg cabin rental is easy! Pack some popcorn, a few favorite candies and a movie. Then, curl up and enjoy a relaxing evening.
- If you’re staying in a Gatlinburg cabin with a hot tub, don’t forget to pack your bathing suit.
- Even though it’s cold outside, it’s still a lot of fun to warm up with a fire and some tasty s’mores. So, go ahead and pack what you need for s’mores before you arrive!
Take a look at all of Amazing Views’ Gatlinburg cabin rentals when you are planning your stay. Give us a call if you have any questions about our cabin rentals. We will be happy to help you find the best cabin for your stay in Gatlinburg!